Cassava Porridge (Asa Iwa) Recipe
3 lbs Cassava
2 tbsp Mamador Vegetable oil
1 large onion, finely chopped
4 cloves of garlic
1 chilli pepper, finely chopped
2 large red peppers, chopped
A large handful of fresh thyme
1 scotch bonnet chili
A large knob of butter
A large pinch of salt
- Step 1
- Peel and cut cassava, slice the pieces down the center and remove the coarse inner vein.
- Step 2
- In a large heavy sauté pan heat the coconut oil, add onions, garlic, pepper, chive, thyme and Mamador Vegetable oil.
- Step 3
- Fry until fragrant for about 5 minutes. Add cassava.
- Step 4
- Add the scotch bonnet pepper. Add butter and salt and stir.
- Step 5
- Cover mixture and simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes until all the cassava is cooked and tender.
- Step 6
- There should be only a small amount of coconut oil in the pan.
- Step 7
- Remove the scotch bonnet chili before serving.
I've tried this personally and so love it. I'm Yoruba and i must say this is one of the best dishes Nigeria can sell to the world.
I would use this on my radio cooking show
Write Your Own* All fields are required