2kg cow foot
20cl Palm Oil
1 tablespoon powdered edible potash
1 teaspoon ground Ehu seeds
2 tablespoons ground crayfish
2 habanero peppers
1 medium onion
2 big stock cubes
1 medium onion
10 Utazi leaves
- Step 1
- Cut the cow foot into medium chunks. Put the powdered potash into a bowl and add a small quantity of water and stir well. Pass it through a fine sieve and set the liquid aside.
- Step 2
- Cut 1 onion into 4 big chunks. Pound the pepper with a mortar and pestle or blitz it. Grind the crayfish. Crack and remove the outer shell of the ehu then grind with a dry mill.
- Step 3
- Wash and put the cow foot chunks in a pot. Add the stock cubes (crushed) and the chunks of onion.
- Step 4
- Add a small quantity of water and start cooking at medium heat till well cooked. Add just enough water to prevent burning as you cook. There should not be any stock in the pot when the meat is done.
- Step 5
- While the meat is cooking, pour the Palm Oil into a clean dry pot. Pour in the potash mixture into the oil. Stir with a wooden spatula as you pour the potash. You'll notice the palm oil begin to curdle and turn yellow. Keep stirring till all the oil has turned yellow.
- Step 6
- Add the ground crayfish, pepper, and ehu seeds. Stir very well till they are all incorporated. When the meat is done, add salt, stir and cook till all the water has dried. Add the cooked cow foot to the palm oil paste and stir very well with the wooden spatula.
- Step 7
- Put it back on the stove/cooker and heat till the Nkwobi is piping hot, stirring all the time to make sure it does not burn.
- Step 8
- To prepare the garnish, cut the onions into rings and cut the utazi into long thin slices.
- Step 9
- Serve the Nkwobi in small plates
- Step 10
- Add the thin slices of utazi and onion rings on top
Write Your Own* All fields are required