Egusi Soup Recipe
Other soups that are popular amongst the Igbo include Ogbono soup (Draw soup) and Ofe Nsala.
Egusi Soup Recipe Serves - 8 people
Assorted meat (Shaki, Ponmo)
Water or Pumpkin leaves (chopped)
Bitter leaves (chopped) - optional
4 habanero peppers (ata rodo)
3 cups of Egusi
3 cooking spoons of Mamador Virgin Palm Oil
Salt to taste
- Step 1
- Season the Beef, Shaki, and Ponmo with seasoning cubes, onions, and salt. steam in the meat juice till dry, this helps the seasoning to get into the meat very well.
- Step 2
- Add water and continue to boil till meat is almost cooked.
- Step 3
- Add stock fish when meat is almost cooked.
- Step 4
- Add smoked fish, shrimps and grounded crayfish and cook for 15 minutes.
- Step 5
- Set pot of meat aside. Heat 3 cooking spoons of Mamador Virgin Palm Oil, add remaining chopped onions and fry for 2 minutes.
- Step 6
- Blend the tomatoes and peppers, add to the pot, and fry for about 10 minutes. Pour in the meat stock, grounded crayfish and water and boil for 10 minutes.
- Step 7
- Add the grounded Egusi and cook for 6 minutes. Taste for salt and add if necessary
- Step 8
- Pour in the meat and cook for 5 minutes
- Step 9
- Add the vegetables and cook for 3 minutes.
- Step 10
- Serve with Eba, Amala, Rice, Fufu etc
- thanks mamador, that's how i prepared my egusi on Sunday. thanks for the tips.
Write Your Own* All fields are required