Hot Cross Buns Recipe
Serves - 10 people
¼ cup of sugar
½ tbsp of salt
2 cups of flour
½ tsp of yeast
2 medium-sized apples, diced
3 serving spoons of Mamador Pure Vegetable Oil
½ cup warm water
70g of skimmed milk (liquid)
1 tsp Vanilla flavour (you can substitute with any other flavour)
- Step 1
- Pour warm water, sugar, salt, 2 whole eggs, 2 egg whites only, flour, yeast and Mamador Pure Vegetable Oil in a bowl and mix thoroughly with a mixer or knead with your hands.
- Step 2
- Make a well in the center of the dough and pour skimmed milk. Knead well until milk is mixed in properly. When the batter is smooth, add flavours and mix again.
- Step 3
- Tip onto a flat surface and knead by holding the dough with one hand and stretching it with the heel of the other hand, then folding it back on itself. Repeat for 5 mins until smooth and elastic.
- Step 4
- Put the dough in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with oiled cling film and leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hr or until doubled in size and a finger pressed into it leaves a dent. With the dough still in the bowl, add the diced apples and knead into the dough, making sure everything is well distributed.
- Step 5
- Divide the dough into even smaller pieces. Roll each piece into a smooth ball on a flat surface.
- Step 6
- Arrange the buns on baking trays lined with parchment, leaving enough space for the dough to expand. Cover (but don’t wrap) with more oiled cling film, or a clean tea towel, then set aside to prove for an hr.
- Step 7
- Heat oven to 220C/200C and in a separate bowl, mix 1 serving spoon of flour with about 5 tbsp water to make the paste for the cross. Add the water 1 tbsp at a time, so you add just enough for a thick paste.
- Step 8
- Spoon into a piping bag with a small nozzle. Pipe a line along each row of buns, then repeat in the other direction to create crosses.
- Step 9
- Bake for 20 mins on the middle shelf of the oven, until golden brown.
- Step 10
- Serve hot and enjoy with some jam if you’d like.
- Thank you so much Mamador crew for sharing this wonderful recipe. I tried it and it came out very well. Although I made a mistake at first because I didn't measure the yeast well but got it the second time. I was very impressed with myself. Thank you so much. MaryBlossom
Write Your Own* All fields are required