Serves - 6 people
2 cups raw rice
1 cup of cooked rice
1.5 teaspoons yeast
4 tablespoons of sugar
2 cups of water
- Step 1
- Soak the raw rice in water overnight.
- Step 2
- Dissolve the sugar and Potash/ Akaun in 1 cup of water and add the yeast. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- Step 3
- Drain the rice and grind it in a blender with the yeast and akaun mixture to make a smooth batter. Add the cooked rice, onion and blend to combine well. The batter should be thick.
- Step 4
- Pour batter into a large bowl, cover and leave in a warm place for 8-12 hours. You want the mixture to rise, collapse and ferment.
- Step 5
- Add salt and a little bit more sugar to taste if needed. Add a bit of water if necessary.
- Step 6
- Heat your pan over medium heat. Add 4 tablespoons of Mamador Pure Vegetable Oil. Scoop the batter and gently pour in the pan to form circles. .
- Step 7
- Cook for about 2 mins till golden brown then flip over to cook the other side
- Step 8
- Serve Masa as a snack or with stew, Suya or just plain sugar
Write Your Own* All fields are required