Chicken and Okra Gumbo Recipe
Serves - 6-7 people
1 whole chicken
5 sausages, sliced roundly
8 cups of water
1/4 cup Mamador Pure Vegetable Oil
2 tablespoons of all-purpose flour
2 medium onions, chopped
1 medium green pepper, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
4 tomatoes, chopped
2 cups of fresh okra, sliced roundly
2 bay leaves
1 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
2 tablespoons of sliced green onions
2 seasoning cubes
- Step 1
- Clean chicken, place in a large pot add seasoning and water. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Step 2
- Remove chicken; reserve chicken stock. Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Remove chicken from bones; discard bones and cut meat into cubes; set aside.
- Step 3
- In a large pot combine Mamador Pure Vegetable Oil and flour until smooth. Cook over medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook and stir about 5 minutes more. Turn the heat to high. Stir in 2 cups chicken stock. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Step 4
- Add the onions, green pepper and garlic; cook and stir for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, okra, bay leaves, salt, and pepper . Cover and simmer for 40 mins.
- Step 5
- Add chicken and sausage, stir and taste for seasoning. Adjust if necessary. Cook for another 5 mins.
- Step 6
- Gently stir and taste for seasoning. Adjust if necessary. Cook for another 5 mins.
- Step 7
- Discard bay leaves.
Write Your Own* All fields are required